Holy Trinity Lutheran Church Jan 2021
Director of Music Ministry Position Description
ROLE TITLE: Director of Music Ministry
POSITION SUMMARY: The Director of Music Ministry collaborates with the pastoral staff to create in-person and virtual worship services, choosing and integrating hymns, music and liturgy appropriate to the church season, and the bible texts of the day. The Director will conduct choral and instrumental music programs for adults and work to re-energize children’s and youth choirs. The Director will lead the congregation in song; encouraging enthusiasm for worship, and fostering faith and community.
- Ability to play a pipe organ and piano as a solo and as an accompanying instrument.
- Skill in directing adult, youth and children’s Choirs.
- Knowledge of Lutheran liturgies, hymnals, musical heritage and theology.
- Skill in selecting music appropriate to the readings of the day, church year and congregational skill level.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn how to record music and produce musical contributions for electronic worship formats.
- Ability to pursue opportunities for evangelism and outreach.
- Knowledge of how to care for pianos, pipe organs, and handbells.
- Written and verbal communication skills and ability to team work in a modern office environment.
- Skill in improving the musical knowledge and singing skills of the congregation.
Relationships and Communications:
- The Director reports to the Pastors.
- Regularly attends weekly staff meetings throughout the year.
- Participates in Worship and Music Committee meetings.
- Frequently communicates and collaborates with the Church Administrator and Minister for worship on Church Council.
- Plans, leads, and provides music for Sunday, midweek, seasonal and special services and events in collaboration with the ministerial staff.
- Supervises and directs the choral and instrumental programs and music opportunities of Holy Trinity Lutheran Church.
- Takes care of music resources of the church, specifically the pianos, pipe organ, hand bells and music library.
- Provides accompaniment for weddings and funerals within church fee schedule.
- Provides music leadership and/or accompaniment for vocal or instrumental music as needed.
- Trains worship leaders in music and liturgy as needed.
- Coordinates with Pastors and appropriate council members regarding education and worship enrichment topics.
Please click on the link to download the Director of Music Ministry, Position Description.